Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Thoughts from a year ago...

The other day I went through the documents I've saved on my computer and I found a "journal" entry.  I wrote it about a year ago, and at the time I was uneasy about my job and with the reduction in force taking place in NC.  I was on the list (or so I thought).  It was a stressful period, but God gave me peace right when I needed it.  Ironically enough, I wrote this about five months before we even heard about ALP.

Here are my thoughts from a year ago...


The possibility of me losing my job in less than year is not a scary thought.  It’s actually quite exciting!  When Tim “lost” his job a year ago it was frightening at the time, but looking back we see that God had plans for us that we just didn’t see.  Tim and I have grown closer to each other  as well as to God during this time.  Losing my job would open up the possibility for a new ministry.  God may be closing the door to my ministry at Newport Elementary but a new opportunity will arise, whether here in North Carolina, the United States, or another country.  I don’t know what the future holds but if my time is limited at Newport, then I need to get busy and share the good news of the gospel as much as I can. 

Acts 11:17 – In chapter 11 of Acts, Peter is explaining why he went and ministered to the Gentiles and how they were filled with the Holy Spirit.  In verse 17 he gives a flat statement that no one can argue with.  “If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?”  Applying this to my life my statement would be, “If God has closed the door to this job, who am I to complain or worry about the next step in our lives?  Who am I to stand in God’s way of leading my life where He wants me?  Isn’t that what I’ve been praying for all my life?”  Yes this job loss is scary because I don’t know where or what we will do next, but God knows!  That should be comforting enough for me. 

Speaking of radical statements, the men and women of the Bible gave up what they had (family, money, jobs, and so on) to serve God fully.  I’ve prayed for God to use me how and where He sees fit.  This is God answering that prayer!

No comments: