Sunday, January 16, 2011

Radical Family

Here are some statements of Jesus to ponder:


Matt. 10:37 – "The one who loves his father or mother more than me isn't worthy of me, and the one who loves a son or daughter more than me isn't worthy of me."


Luke 14:26 – "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, as well as his own life, he can't be my disciple."


Jesus exemplifies this:


Matt. 12:46-50 – "While Jesus was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, "Look! Your mother and your brothers are standing outside asking to speak to you." He asked the man who told him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" Then pointing with his hand at his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."


What does this mean?:


When we love Jesus most supremely, our actions and affections will appear as hatred toward our family. This only happens when we live out Mark 12:30, "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength." Notice that God requires all of our love. We don't spread it around in priorities, cutting off the biggest slice for Jesus. There is no room for any other love. Jesus deserves our entire love and devotion.


Question:


Could your love for Jesus be characterized in such a way that when compared to your family, it appears that you hate your family? Or has your parents, children, or spouse become an idol? Remember, God wants all of your love. The result of total devotion to Jesus will be the ability to love your family correctly. That is how husbands fulfill Ephesians 5:25 (husbands, memorize it if you don't know it!).


A frightening reality:


Here is the kicker. Jesus says that this is a requirement of a disciple. If you are not doing this, you are not his disciple. You are not even worthy to be his disciple.



*All Scripture quoted from the ISV.

No comments: